Monday, April 6, 2015

The Merchant of Venice recorded Performance


Bassanio:
Why I were best to cut my left hand off
And swear I lost the ring defending it.

Gratianio:
My Lord Bassanio gave his ring away
Unto the judge that begged it, and indeed
Deserved it, too. And then, the boy, his clerk
That took some pains in writing, begged mine,
And neither man nor master would take aught
But the two rings

Portia:
What ring gave you my lord?
Not that, I hope, which you received of me.

Bassanio:
If I could add a lie unto my fault,
I would deny it, but you see my finger
Hath not the ring upon it. It is gone.

Portia:
Even so void is your false heart of truth.
By heaven, I will ne’er come in your bed
Until I see the ring!

Nerissa: (to Gratianio) Nor I in yours
Till I again see mine!

Bassanio: Sweet Portia,
If you did know to whom I gave the ring
If you did know for whom I gave the ring
And would conceive for what I gave the ring
And how unwillingly I left the ring
When naught would be accepted but the ring
You would abate the strength of your displeasure

Portia:
If you had known the virtue of the ring,
Or half her worthiness that gave the ring,
Or your own honor to contain the ring,
You would not then have parted with the ring.
What man is there so much unreasonable,
If you had pleased to have defended it
With any terms of zeal, wanted the modesty
To urge the thing held as a ceremony?
Nerissa teaches me what to believe:
I’ll die for’t, but some woman hath the ring!

…….

Gratianio:
….
Well, while I live, I’ll fear no other thing

So sore as keeping safe Nerissa’s ring!

Please let me know what you think of The Merchant of Venice and the passage I recited!

No comments:

Post a Comment