Thursday, May 28, 2015

What attitude toward God(ot) does the play take?

I wrote this post after reading Samuel Beckett's, Waiting for Godot. Have you read this book? If so, please comment your thoughts on this discussion!

First I would like to examine the possibility that Godot is actually not a representative of God. It does seem that Beckett designed him as a man, not capable of communicating with the two waiting men without his messenger boy. I find it quite plausible that Godot was simply a thoughtless, person, who perhaps had the skills, information, money…etc to help Vladimir and Estragon.

Disregarding this possibility I find it interesting that this question compares the impersonal, not present, Godot with a personal, omnipresent God.

Godot is uncaring, and never even appears in the entire play, yet Vladimir nad Estragon base their entire existence off the belief that one day he will come and rescue them. This could be compared by non-Christians to the Christian belief in Christ’s saving grace, which they imagine has not and will never come.

IF this belief is true, than it would also be true that a search for a better life, a search for a savior, and life in general is utterly meaningless. In this play, Beckett seems to portray God or any belief or waiting on Him as hopeless.

What do you think of my first interpretation? My answer? Am I way off?

I love reading your comments and hearing from your point of view, so please comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment